timothyraines.com

My work is guided by my infinite enthusiasm for exploration. Exploration can and should take many forms - from the random road trip to discovering your own Self. In my art, I'm particularly fascinated by the role physics plays in the way paint forms on the canvas, interacts with other paints and reacts when manipulated by anything from a brush to fingers.

Saturday, March 18, 2006

Getting Art in Santa Fe


I recently returned from Santa Fe, rumored to be the 2nd largest art market next to New York. I'd have a tough time believing that it tops Carmel, CA but I suppose it could. There are galleries EVERYWHERE! It's amazing how much competition there is in such a small, remote town - and I'm not talking $2000-a-piece paintings - there were several galleries offering works well over $35,000 and appear to be doing well enough in that price range.

It is good to know that fine art collection is alive and well - especially the collecting of art from Artists that are "alive and well"! I guess a living can be made at this afterall!

So, the question is, how do I get into a Santa Fe gallery? Resume, resume, resume. I'm also going to submit for their August outdoor art fair to benefit Girls Inc. of Santa Fe. More expense but I'm going to hopefully go with my mentor, E. Moises Diaz and learn the ropes from him. I'll begin producing more work, I guess Edgar can tell me the right number. Once in, I'll personally invite each gallery owner and let the art - and sales - speak for themselves. Wish me luck! (Or if you know a Santa Fe gallery owner, hook a brother up!)

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home